The Eighth Hungarian Tribe, 1985 (12. évfolyam, 1-11. szám)

1985-01-01 / 1. szám

László Könnyű HUNGARIAN CATHOLICS OF ST. LOUIS MARK CHURCH ANNIVERSARIES The first Hungarian residents in St. Louis, Missouri, were the Hungarian-German Ursuline nuns who came from Sopron, Hungary, to teach in the German-Catholic School of St. Mary of Victories Roman Catholic Church, at 744 S. Third Street, built in 1844. (In 1957 this church became the parish of the Hungarian Catholic congregation.) The Hungarian immigration became stronger after 1870; by 1910 the number of Hungarian immigrants reached around 27,000. St. Mary of Victories R. C. Church. For a while the Germans, Hungarians and Slovaks worshiped together, but about 10,000 Hungarians desired to have Hungarian Catholic Service. The governing Irish and German bishops, deans and pastors did not want a new Hungarian Catholic Parish. But, finally, in 1934 Archbishop Glennon gave permission to Rev. John de Gyarmathy to organize the St. Stephen of Hungary Roman Catholic Church at 1041 Chouteau Avenue. Rev. Gyarmathy served his congregation from 1934 to 1957. After his retirement Cardinal Joseph Ritter sold the church and transferred the Hungarian congregation to the then empty St. Mary of Victories R. C. Church. The Cardinal appointed Hungarian-speaking Father Stephen Vrabely from Gary, Indiana, as pastor, who served faithfully from 1957 to 1962. From 1962 to 1971 Father Alphonso Skerl (also from Gary, Ind.) served the congregation. In 1969 Celesta H. Mader, in memory of her husband, donated the necessary funds to erect a Statue of St. Stephens, the first Hungarian Christian King of Hungary, by Ferenc Varga, a well-known Hungarian sculptor. When Father Skerl was transferred in 1971, Rev. Gilbert Mihályi, D.D. became the pastor and served till 1974, then Rev. Tibor S. Furák took over the pastoral work. He introduced Hungarian language courses for second and third generation Hungarians. On June 21, 1974, Cardinal József Mindszenty of Hungary arrived in St. Louis for a short visit during his tour of the United States. Father Furák served till 1978. On the first Sunday of Advent of 1978, Father Joseph Somos from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, took over the administration. January, 1985 St. Stephen of Hungary R.C. Church. Father Somos is an accomplished concert organist. After his arrival in the U.S.A. in 1976, he gave concerts in many cities throughout the United States. On May 6, 1984, the congrega­tion honored him with a special service and banquet on the Silver Jubilee of his priesthood. On September 30,1984, the parishioners celebrated the 140th anniversary of St. Mary of Victories, and on October 21, 1984, the Golden Jubilee of St. Stephen of Hungary Parish in a renewed church and church hall. Present officers of the church council are: Andrew Soros, president; Julius Chapo, secretary; Anton Imrehazi, treasurer; Mrs. Celesta Mader, organist. Societies; Mrs. Anna Poloskey, president of the Ladies’ Alter Society; Mrs. Medea Marx, president, First Hungarian Ladies’ Aid Society; László Scheirich, president, American Hungarian Cultural Club. St. Stephen Oil painting by G. Karo, St. Louis and N. Y. (1957) Page 7

Next

/
Oldalképek
Tartalom