HIS-Press-Service, 1981 (6. évfolyam, 19-21. szám)
1981-10-01 / 21. szám
HIS Press Service No.21, October 1981 Page 5 partially from contributions by members of the diocese, and partially from contributions by Greek Catholics in other countries, as well as from foreign Church institutions, such as the Sacred Congregation for the Oriental Churches, etc. The organization established by the German and Austrian Bishops Conferences, the European Aid Fund, contributed 8 million forints toward the construction costs. The remaining 3 million forints are presently listed by the diocese as an outstanding debt. The Consecration Festivities The traditional pilgrimage to Máriapócs in connection with the feast of the Assumption also served as a "worthy commencement" of the festivities surrounding the consecration and blessing of the new buildings. Máriapócs is not only one of the largest pilgrim shrines in Hungary, but also the largest pilgrim shrine in . the entire worild for members of the Greek Catholic Church. It is a national shrine with an international reputation; a cross-section of its visitors shows it to be a pilgrim shrine which is both supraconfessional (Roman and Greek Catholics, Protestants, and members of the Greek Orthodox Church), supraregional (Hungarians, Poles, Slovakians, Germans and, in times past, Russians from the Subcarpathian Mountains, i.e., Ruthenians), and also international (pilgrims from both Western Europe and even America). The veneration of Mary at this shrine centers around an icon which began to shed tears on 4 November 1696. All who were present observed the miracle and were filled with awe. The miracle was also personally seen and attested to by a Catholic priest, General Corbelli, and two imperial garrison officers who were standing in close proximity to the picture. This miraculous occurrence was subsequently witnessed by several thousand persons. The icon was taken down and carefully examined but, according to the report submitted by the general, it was impossible to find a rational explanation for the occurrence. The icon shed warm, human tears for a period of 14 days. At the order of the emperor and despite the protests of the residents of Máriapócs, the icon was brought to Vienna and placed in St. Stephen's Cathedral, where it remains enshrined on a beautiful Oriental side altar. In Máriapócs a copy of the icon was made and hung up to replace the original, and it was on this copy that the miracle reoccurred on the 1st and the 5th of August 1715. On the 2nd and 6th of December 1905 tears were observed on the picture for the last time. Copies of this picture exist throughout the world. Most of them (especially in North America) are found in the churches of Hungarian emigrants who are members of the Greek Catholic Church. On 16 August of this year, 60-80,000 persons came to Máriapócs to participate in the festivities and in a Mass celebrated at the shrine's open-air altar by Cardinal Lékai and the other Latin rite bishops who were in attendance. In his sermon,