Juhász Gyula - Szántó András: Hotels - Our Budapest (Budapest, 1999)

The Hotel MAJESTIC, MIRABEL, LOMNIC Holiday Resorts and Guest Houses Nos. 2, 6 AND 8/A Karthacisi út, district XII Named Majestic, the first pension on Sváb Hill, one affording a splendid view of the city, was built in 1937 to plans by Emil Bauer. The 24-room building provided such recreational facilities as a roof terrace equipped with showers, a well-tended park, a terraced garden and sports fields. The positioning of the building was in itself a tour de force, which is why the four-storey structure is perfectly integrated into the natural scenery. Standing on a steep hill-side, the ground-floor of the building was at a level far lower than that of the street at the back, which is why only the two upper floors were visible from behind (from Karthausi út). The entrance to the pension was on the third floor, rather than the ground floor, and the building was, much like a ship, accessible by way of a footbridge. The pension included a restaurant-cum-café, a lounge, a bar of the highest standard and there was a laundry, too. Indicative of the business the Majestic did is the fact that two more establishments of a similar style and stan­dard were opened next to it. The Mirabel and the Lomnic were opened in 1938. The Majestic in the 1950s 48

Next

/
Thumbnails
Contents